Saturday, March 1, 2014

Dancing on the Windowsill

This morning, I was sitting on my parents couch as the sun was beginning to rise. I had awakened early, as I normally do when I’m at home.  I couldn’t go back to sleep so I decided to catch up on some magazine reading, which I rarely ever have time to do in one sitting.  As I was reading, the room slowly grew a little brighter.  The sun’s beautiful rays were beginning to creep into the apartment living room, illuminating my space and making it a little easier for me to see the words on the page.
I was losing myself in the magazine and enjoying myself as I quickly went from one article to the next. I no longer realized the intensity of the sun’s rays, because I guess I had grown accustomed to them and just expected them to be present.  What was initially wonderment at the sun’s rays, had turned to indifference, because I now took them for granted.  I expected the sun to shine, because that what it’s supposed to do.  Article after article, losing myself in each story, enjoying just being in my own space; I was happy to be sitting here.  But as the sun’s rays peaked and intensified through the window, I began to notice a small clamoring sound. 
I turned toward the sound, which seemed to be coming from the heating unit under the window.  I immediately thought I was going to have to let Daddy know that something was wrong with his heater, signaled by this loud, rhythmic clicking.  Upon further inspection, I noticed a little hula dancer was generating the clicking sound, standing atop the windowsill.
The hula dancer, who was dressed in a yellow pleated skirt with matching tube top, lei and flower in her hair, stood no more than 2 inches tall on a white base.  On the base, in front of her feet, was a silver plate. I couldn’t help but smile, because it was funny to watch the hula dancers’ hips move to the clicking sound.  She was somehow creating her own music.  I picked up the little lady and placed her on the table in front of me, the clicking stopped but there was still a slight movement in her hips.  I picked her back up returned her to her rightful place, back on the windowsill, and the clamoring sound began again with a rekindled intensity in the hip movement.  I smiled from ear to ear as I received the revelation.
That benign metal plate on the base, in front of the dancers’ feet, was actually a solar panel.  The panel was collecting the rays from the sun and was converting it into electricity.  The joy of solar energy is that it’s collected from a natural source and is replenished naturally. While I was enjoying my morning reading and the sun was shining into that apartment living room, the panel was storing energy and converting it.
Ms. Thang, dressed in her cute, little yellow outfit, had been placed in a prominent place on the windowsill where she would have the benefit of capturing the sun’s rays. She moved and clicked because she had been poured into.  She moved and clicked, because she was in the right location.  She moved and clicked because someone knew her purpose and gave her the proper space to allow her potential to grow.  She moved and clicked because that was what she was designed to do.  Even when I moved her to the coffee table, behind a tissue box, (sorry but I had to test my theory), I noticed that the clamoring sound immediately ceased but her hips swayed intermittently. It wasn’t a consistent movement, but rather a slight ‘shimmy’ that would pause every few seconds.  So why the shimmy, you ask?
She had been moved out of her prominent position, on the windowsill, but there was still something inside of her that reminded her of what she was made to do.
The light wasn’t as bright as it used to be, but there was a stored energy inside the solar panel that gave her a glimpse of her true worth.
Moved, but not forgotten.  Displaced, but not destroyed.
I’ve got to try this one more time……… I moved her back to the windowsill and almost immediately the clicking sound began.  WOW!

What does this mean?  What is the point of telling this story?

It simply reminds me of how you have listened, been poured into, taught, trained and expected to perform in a certain area, but you have somehow lost your position.  You know what it is that God has spoken to you and has predestined for you, but you have conveniently hid yourself from the direct rays.
You have listened to the naysayers…so you have hidden yourself behind the tissue box, on the coffee table, away from the light source.
You have begun doubting your own dreams…so you have hidden yourself behind the tissue box, on the coffee table, away from the light source.
You have reached a certain point in your life and because you feel that you SHOULD have arrived by now, you downplay what you have done…so you have hidden yourself behind the tissue box, on the coffee table, away from the light source.
You think of how much it’s going to cost and then you look at your bank account and you talk yourself out of it… you have hidden yourself behind the tissue box, on the coffee table, away from the light source.

Hey, hey, hey…there is still hope!

You are really not that far from the windowsill.  In fact, it only took me 2-3 steps to walk from the coffee table back to the window.
2-3 steps to realize that the solar power works best when it’s directly connected to the Son (oops, I meant to say the sun).
2-3 steps to see you regain your joy.
2-3 steps for you to believe again.
2-3 steps for you to dream BIG dreams again.
2-3 steps for you to realize that God placed the solar panel there, when you were created.  He meant for you to be in this position of prominence.

Maybe the circumstances of life have caused you to doubt your own strength and now you feel stuck.  Get over yourself please!  The Bible says in Psalm 30:5, “weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning”.
It’s morning time, my friend.  Get up and stand close to the windowsill.
It’s morning time…allow God to pour directly into you. 
It’s morning time…your days of hiding are over.
It’s morning time…it’s time to reclaim your rightful position.
It’s morning time…bask in the beauty of God and realize how quickly you’ll start to shimmy.
It’s morning time…don’t be afraid to perform the task that you were intended to perform and listen for that clicking sound.

Get up my friend, hiding and mourning time is over because your brand new morning is here.  Regain your place on the windowsill; create your own music and shimmy, click and shake.  Not because you are being forced to, but rather because that’s what you were designed to do.

It’s your morning season, NOW WALK IT OUT…(and don’t forget to add a little shimmy!)


I must add this little caveat… this morning is exactly one-day after we remembered & celebrated the one-year anniversary of Mommy’s transition and promotion.  I believe that she allowed me to see the beauty of a brand new day, with this hula dancer.  If she could share a few words with us, I believe she would say” Baby-girl, your mourning is over and your new morning is here.  Regain your rightful position on that windowsill of life.  I prayed for you and over you all of those years, so that you would recognize the beauty that lies deep within you.  It’s your time to shimmy, click and move and if you can…. do it in some really cute high-heeled shoes”. - Thanks Mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment