Thursday, March 6, 2014

40 days: Focus on my Family - Day #1

Today marks the beginning of the Lenten season.  Forty days, which lead up to Resurrection Sunday, or Easter, as most of us call it.  It’s a time when Christians remember the sacrifice that Jesus made before he went to the cross.  It is usually remembered by giving something up as a sign that you want to identify with the suffering of Christ.  So if I really love strawberry cake, I might give up sweets during the Lenten season, as a sign that I want God more than I want food.  Whatever it is, we do it, but sometimes it’s just a way to check off a box to say that I did “something” during this season.

This past weekend, I began pondering what I might give up.  I immediately went to the legalistic view of what I shouldn’t have and what I needed to give up.  No starches, dairy, white flour, wine, etc.… but then I realized that I was considering it because I was thinking about checking the box and changing my diet.  In my mind, if I cut all those things out…by Easter Sunday, I would be svelte and sexy.  Really Sharri?   Are you really about to make this time of consecration about you looking good?  (Uh hello…yes) Don’t judge me, I’m being transparent!

It’s funny though because the time that I was thinking about giving something up, I also was thinking about my family and taking time out for them.  I told my husband that I wanted to turn the TV off during dinner and perhaps play a game of Uno, with our boys while eating.  I don’t know, does that sound crazy to you?  Maybe a little!  But there is this nagging in my spirit to stop and appreciate my family.  Stop rushing through family meals, in order to finish watching the latest TV show. Stop fussing when the evening doesn’t go the way that I thought it would go. 
Have you ever yelled at your kids, not because they had done anything wrong, but because you were exhausted and your fuse was just a little too short.  Have you ever ignored your spouse because he didn’t have time to help you clean up, so you don’t have time to cuddle?  Have you ever looked at caller ID and said I’m not talking to that family member today, because I don’t need any more drama?  If you said yes to any of these things, guess what…you are human. Each of us has experienced a time or two when we just didn’t feel like being bothered.  The time has come that we learn to put all of this into perspective and find our center, when it comes to our families.

Join me during this 40 - day journey as I endeavor to be mindful and fully aware of what I speak and how I act towards my family.  Rather than give something up, I’d like to honor God by giving something TO my family. 
  • ·      Give them my undivided attention. 
  • ·      Give them my unconditional love.
  • ·      Give them a listening ear.
  • ·      Give them time to read together.
  • ·      Give them the experience of playing a game with me.
  • ·      Give them an opportunity to express their ideas and not talk over them. 

All of these things not only pertain to my children, but to my husband, as well.  Many marriages fail because the couples forget how to be attentive to each other’s needs.  Its time to make that shift and refocus our thoughts, mind and emotions to honoring the people whom we say we love.
If you’d like to enhance family relationships and honor God, please meet me here each day to reflect on where you can make some changes, resist the temptation of returning to our old ways, refocus our energy on caring for our loved ones and rejoice at our own rebirth during this process.

Now walk it out…


No comments:

Post a Comment