Monday, June 11, 2018

The next 10-days are just for ME....my journey to becoming FEARLESS

At the beginning of 2018, I chose my "one word" for the year which is FEARLESS.  Or shall I say, it's the word that chose me.  I initially thought being FEARLESS was about getting my business back on track, writing that next book and obtaining more speaking engagements this year.  But after some self-reflection, I realized that I needed to be FEARLESS in my personal life, not just in the outward persona.  This needs to be the time that I  finally show up for myself.

One move I made...
A couple of months ago, I accessed my credit report from the 3 major credit reporting agencies.  There are some things that I need to clear up and I  have been afraid to look at the truth.  You see ignorance is sublime....if you don't know, then there is nothing to resolve or be afraid of.  However this is no way to live a productive and fulfilling life!  Once you find out the truth, you are forced to make some adjustments.  If my credit is jacked up, then it's time to fix it.  If I'm not living at optimal health, then I need to watch what I put in my mouth and get my body up and moving.  The bottom line is once you know the truth,  you now have a choice.  Do I just accept the situation or do I maneuver myself and start making adjustments?

I woke up early, about 2 days ago, with the book by JJ Smith, The 10-day Green Smoothie.  I knew it was on one of the bookshelves, so I searched a while until I located it and curled back up in the bed to reread it.  Although I had tried it before, a few years ago, and only made it to day 5; this time feels much different.  I think it's different because I not only want to change my outward appearance (shed some weight) but I want to use this as a spiritual journey to recenter my mind, emotions and spirit. 

I am a caregiver by nature (blame it on my mother), but oftentimes I care for others and ignore what I need.  I say yes often, when I really want to say 'no thank you, not at this time' or ' hell no' (depending on the day).  I don't get overly emotional about things, so I'll just keep it moving to keep peace and not cause a fuss.  But these 10 days, I want to be so in tuned to God and my inner voice that I don't seek to please anyone but myself.  I had to tell my husband and the boys that I will not be available to cook their meals...they are old enough (47, 18 and 14)  to handle it and will rise to the challenge.  I have NEVER done anything like this for myself and I'm so excited to accept the challenge.  When I mentioned it initially, Courtland and Byron wanted to join me.  I declined graciously.  If I have to make smoothies for others, then once again I'm losing this time to focus on myself.

During these 10 days I will delete a few apps off of my phone....facebook and messenger, maybe instagram too.  Why? Because I have found myself recently wasting 20-30 minutes at a time just scrolling.  I somehow lose track in the minutia of other peoples lives, so I need to stop and regroup for a moment.  I did decide that I will set aside some time every evening on my laptop, perusing through the apps that I just mentioned.  Why would I do this?  I still want to be in touch with the outside world, but I want to control it and not allow constant notifications to control me.

I didn't tell my girlfriends so they would join me and it become another challenge with accountability.  Although accountability is great, I need to revisit what showing up for Sharri looks and feels like.  I need to know how to pray my way through, if and when it becomes challenging.  I need to see the pom-poms in my head cheering Sharri Lor forward to victory. 

I will be doing a lot of reading during these 10 days (I honestly don't watch TV that much anyway).  Get lost in a book and not rely on a show to entertain me.  I am looking for a complete overhaul for the next 10 days.   Each evening I will check in by blogging about my day.  I promise to be honest about the good times and the challenging times. 

This is my road to FEARLESS.  I will decrease so that God might increase in my life.

I am not afraid...
If I can do it, then you can walk it out too....

2 comments: