Sunday, June 7, 2015

Can God trust you with tragedy?

My heart was saddened this week to hear that two of my friends, from back home, lost their teenage son.  After struggling with a serious health condition, he made his final transition to glory.  There are no words, no scriptures, no songs, no STUFF that can fill that void or heal that hurt right now.  It's an open wound that only God can heal with time.  As people of God though, we can pray for their strength and ask God to send His arms of comfort to console them and the entire family.

I'm reminded, as a teenager, speaking at the funeral on behalf of the youth department at the Mt. Airy COGIC.  Our friend, Micah, was killed in a car accident and I believe this was the first time in our young lives that we had faced a tragedy such as this.  I don't remember what I said specifically, but I can vividly remember Bishop Morris giving the eulogy.  He sat on the steps of the pulpit, looking at Sis. Perkins, who had already suffered a great loss and said, "God trusts you".  I didn't know what that truly meant at the time, but as I grew and matured, I definitely understood the sentiment and have shared it with others. 

There are times in our lives where tragedy strikes and we are looking at God saying "forreal God?"  Don't you know that I love you and I talk about how awesome you are?  I go to church and pray.  I help others and am selfless with my time.  Many times I sacrifice my family to be a blessing to someone else who needs me.  I sing in the choir.  I tithe.  I usher.  I don't cheat on my taxes.  If the cashier gives me too much change, I go back in the store and give the money back. (Okay, sorry was that a stretch for you?)

Whatever it is, oftimes we look at God and think how could you allow this to happen to me?  Although Mommy has been gone for 2 years, if you talk to Daddy long enough about her, he still  might say, "I just knew that God was going to heal her.  After all the things she had done in the church and how she lived her life.  She was a good woman who loved God and I just knew He would heal her, since he had done it so many times before".  Sometimes my heart still breaks a little when I hear him say this.  In situations like this, I'm reminded of Job's story.  Satan went to God and asked permission to shake things up in Job's life.  Guess what y'all?  God actually give his permission, but said that his soul was 'hands-off'.  After taking his money, his children, his wife, his friends, his livelihood and even attacking his body Job was restored.  That's not the shout of the story though.  The shout is in the 1st chapter of Job when God and Satan are having the initial conversation and God asked, "have you considered my servant Job?"  This is a clear indication that God trusted Job with tragedy.  God knew that as long as the enemy didn't kill him, there was still time and opportunity for Job to suffer loss and still be restored back to God.

When I look back at my mother's funeral, it was packed and people spoke so highly of her.  But what I remember most is the praise party that ensued right there during the Homegoing service.  The playing of the tambourine (that was me), singing, worshiping, dancing and a hallelujah good time.  Somebody needed to see how God can meet you in your grief and God can still be praised in the midst of a painful situation.  God got all the glory on that day!

Can God get the glory out of your life?
Can God trust you with tragedy?

Recognize that your idea of tragedy may be totally different from someone else, so please believe that I am not trying to compare tragic situations.
Maybe your tragedy is health. Can God trust that you will proclaim that He's a healer even if he chooses not to heal you at this time?
Maybe your tragedy is financial.  Can God trust that you will still worship Him in your giving, even when your month outlasts your money?
Maybe your tragedy is the enemy's attack of your children.  Can God trust that you will pray circles around them and speak life into them, even if they are on 'lockdown'?
Maybe your tragedy is a cheating spouse. Can God trust that you will pray for restoration and healing in your marriage and that you will uplift that spouse in prayer, without tearing him/her down?

Regardless of your situation and the tragedy, God still LOVES YOU and intends to do you no harm.  Maybe He is allowing those things to come to you so that He can get the glory out of your life.  It might be ugly, might be painful, might make you mad from time to time, might make you cry....but God can still get the glory!!! I invite you to trust Him and praise your way through every situation.  Though it may look horrible right now, God can turn things around for you!

My goal is not to sugar-coat what we go through on a day-to-day basis, but I am determined to make you aware that life may make a sincere blow and almost knock you over.  However, if you can recognize that you are still here because of His grace and not fall into the mind games and traps that the enemy uses to keep you down......you become an Ambassador for Christ.

Recognize that your life might look the way that it does because God knows that He can trust you with tragedy.  Just as God restored Job..... he can restore your faith, your finance, your family, your health, your emotions.  What you have gone through has not been in vain!.....It's just that God can clearly trust you.

Now walk it out..............


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this awesome and encouraging message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. Thank you. I didn't think of it (my breast cancer) this way... but I can see it clearly now. It is very humbling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a story to tell and you'll be able to share it freely with this new perspective. May God bless you in the healing process.

      Delete
  3. Very inspiring read. As Nicole said above, I had not looked at my young widowhood in this way. I need to read this a couple more times and absorb it completely. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read, re-read and then go tell your story. There is another sister out there that may be going through the same thing and your testimony might keep her from giving up. You are never alone!

      Delete