Sunday, January 29, 2017

What is your body telling you? Could it actually be stress? _SOULFUL SUNDAY SERIES

Happy Soulful Sunday evening.

I have a phone app to share with you. This morning my husband showed Chandler a breathing app ("Calm") on his phone to help him relax before playing golf.  My 16-year old gets so excited when he is about to play a round of golf.  In fact he mentioned to me earlier this week that he thought he should change his music before he plays.  He said, "Mom I think I need to be a little more focused and relaxed".  Even he realized that what you put into your ears or your allow to  be absorbed into your mind can actually change the way you act.

I downloaded the same app on my phone this afternoon and performed breathing exercises with Courtland, right before he began to study for his test.   We did a meditation exercise about letting your thoughts go and being mindful and intentional.  Afterward we performed a breathing exercise.  We had to focus on an expanding circle while we were instructed to inhale, hold our breath and then exhale on command.  Since I was so relaxed, I decided to take a blood pressure reading. It was 117/80. WHAT?! Last night it was 148/83 and the day before that it was 166/100. As I mentioned in last weeks' post, my BP was surprisingly high.  I went to the doctor on Tuesday and she prescribed 2 medications.  I know the medication is probably beginning to work, BUT I now realize that my body has probably been trying to tell me something.

Perhaps I've been carrying stress that I didn't recognize before. Hmm?!  I know that I have plenty of jobs and responsibilities, but I really thought I was handling it well.  My husband mentioned that once I get up at the crack of dawn, I don't stop until I pass out at night.  I suppose that I didn't consider what this was truly doing to my body.    I sent a message to my "Parenting on Purpose University" FB page, informing them of my newest revelation.  It's time to go take a seat ma'am.  I must say yes when  I want to, and  learn how to say no, without feeling guilty, when I don't.  I'm sure this applies to you as well, in some area of your life. 

Learn to protect your mind and keep the stress levels down.  Take a walk, listen to calming music, pray, meditate and be deliberate about slowing your breaths.  Research at the National Institutes of Health suggests that breathing slowly for a few minutes a day is enough to help lower blood pressure naturally without medication. Scientists believe that how we breathe may hold a key to how the body regulates blood pressure.  Using breathing techniques is one of the most powerful stress relievers to calm the body and mind.   So what have I been doing?!   Both you and me deserve not to have headaches, feel tired or have high blood pressure.  I invite you to join me in this journey of calm and mindful intention.  It's time to focus on your wellness!

 Now walk it out.... (and take deep breaths as you go)




No comments:

Post a Comment