Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Happy Birthday Mommy

HI MOMMY!

How's it going up there in Heaven?  Did someone wake you singing Happy birthday?  If not, please allow me. (Insert birthday song here, Stevie Wonder version.)

I am choosing to celebrate you today. 

  • I'm going to remember your silly grin that you would do when it was time to take a picture. ( I realize that I turn my head to the side, purse my lips and act really silly when it's time to take a picture too....I guess I got it honest.)
  • I will remember your praying hands when you'd rub my back and assure me that everything would be alright.
  • I will remember how you used to prance in those heels and shout across the front of the church, after leading a song or directing the choir. ( I think Daddy used to watch from the Deacon section, thanking the Lord that those legs were going back home with him.  I'm just sayin'...)
  • I'm going to remember your applesauce raisin cake.  (That's probably why I could eat raisins and applesauce all day.)
  • I will remember your words of wisdom dipped in the Holy Spirit.  Your words were so poignant and piercing to the soul.
  • I will remember the times you and Daddy came to our home and poured so much love into your grandchildren. (The boys and I were talking about you on the way to school this morning.)
  • I will remember how whenever I was sad, you would say "get a pillow and squeeze really tightly...that's me hugging you Baby".

Today, I will think of all things Nelda!  And if I cry, it will be tears of joy that God thought enough of us to share you with this world.  Anyone who came across your path, were blessed to have been in your presence.

So happy birthday Mommy! I would say RIP, but that would be ridiculous for us girls.  Girl, strut your stuff today and enjoy praising God. ( I know your heavenly shoes are the bomb.)

If you dance for me up there, I will dance for you down here.  Love you Suga Booger!

Now walk it out...


No comments:

Post a Comment