Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Sometimes it's better to walk alone

I enjoy walking our family dog, Arby and I think he enjoys it even more.  Since I've been more consistent with walking him daily, any time he sees me putting on sneakers, he gets really excited by wagging his tail and running to the door.  He equates gym shoes, work out pants and my fanny pack with going for a stroll.  A while ago, the Lord told me to use our walking time to pray and talk to Him.  This was great for me because it covered two objectives:  I was able to talk with the Lord and exercise, at the same time.

Well today,  I missed our early morning walk and it wasn't cool enough to take him out like I often do in the evening.  Around 3 pm, I couldn't wait any longer and needed to get outside and start moving.  I wanted to be alone and talk to God.  I have been waiting on a phone call for a few days and I was getting tired of checking my phone to see if I had missed a call.  (It was pretty pathetic. You know how it is when you are expecting someone to call, you know that you didn't hear the phone ring nor did you hear the notification from your text messaging or email. ) Periodically, I kept turning the phone over, pushing a few buttons only to come to the realization that I was tripping and the phone had never gone off.

I began to get a little annoyed at my own behavior and decided that I needed to unplug, so that I could reconnect. (You'll catch that later, I'm sure.)  Anyway, I told the boys that I was going for a walk WITHOUT Arby and I set out for my hike.  Since Byron was working at the church, I decided to walk to the church (about 15 blocks).  I walked, I sang, I prayed and praised God.  I remember Mommy telling stories about people walking in off the streets of Philadelphia just to come inside the Garden of Prayer Church to pray.  So I told the Lord, " I'm walking towards you".  Well wasn't I surprised when I turned the corner to the church and didn't see my husband's car. (A usual 3-minute drive turned out to be a 30 minute walk.)  When I called his phone, he was at the house sitting in the kitchen and was shocked when I called him because he thought I was in the bedroom.  Too funny!  We had missed each other!

Of course, he offered to come pick me up but I decided to walk back by myself.  Your girl was committed! I took a different path home, until I reconnected to the area where Arby and I usually walk.  It was at that time I realized that it was good that I had made this journey alone.  If the dog had been with me, he would have gotten tired and thirsty and would have slowed my pace.  He also would have drawn attention to us.  You know what it's like when one dog sniffs another dog's scent in the air...total chaos and loud barking.  Arby, although a good walking companion, would have been a distraction or hindrance to me.

I was encouraged that I had chosen the option of traveling alone.  That time was for me to clear my head, get away from my phones imaginary beeping, talk to God and not have to corral anyone along.  56 minutes later than when I had begun, I was stepping back onto my porch.... sweating, legs burning and thirsty BUT refreshed.

Let me encourage you to drop the dead weight and end the meaningless conversations.  It's great to have friends and people to share your thoughts, feelings and emotions with, BUT sometimes you can gain a better sense of clarity when you're all alone.  When it's just you and God...no excuses, no distractions, no opinions from others.  Had I been walking Arby, I would have missed my opportunity to be totally present in my heart, mind and soul.

Be comfortable with living in your own space.
Be confident with listening to your inner voice.
Be cautious of those who always want to be around you... they might actually be slowing you down.

Set your own pace and walk it out......(ALONE)

No comments:

Post a Comment