Sunday, March 15, 2015

What's in a tear?

Have you ever wanted to cry?

Perhaps you lost a loved one and ache to hear their voice or hold their hand again.
Perhaps you realize that you just made a horrible decision and now you have to deal with the harsh consequences.
Perhaps you have more month than money and can't figure out how to pay your bills.
Perhaps in one trip to the doctor you received a diagnosis that will forever change your life.
Perhaps your dream marriage, home or vacation turned out to be a nightmare.

Do you ever want to cry?

Maybe you feel helpless...
Maybe you're frightened...
Maybe you're frustrated...
Maybe you're angry...
Maybe you're confused...
Maybe you're exhausted...

For all one knows you could be elated...
For all one knows you could be excited...
For all one knows you could be aroused...
For all one knows you could be reflective and thankful...
For all one knows you could be deeply sentimental...
For all one knows you could be extremely sympathetic...

There are so many reasons that we cry, but no matter the reason it seems that we shy away from this display of emotion because we don't people to assume that we're weak.  I think that we all need to pause for a second and realize that crying can be a beautiful thing.

I'm sitting up at 4 o'clock in the morning in silence.  I can hear the sounds of my husband breathing, the grunting of the dog in his sleep, the passing train that sounds so close that it must be in the backyard, the hum of the dryer, the agitation of the washing machine, the periodic drip of water from the faucet, the heater kicking on and off, the wind pushing against the windows and I can feel a warm stream of water cascading down my face.

I'm crying because...
I am completely still and thankful.
I am enjoying a moment of peace.
I am reconnecting with myself and with God.
I am finding my center after all of noise of the day.
When I think of God's goodness, I am completely overwhelmed.
I am humbled at the fact that God loves me and shows me daily.
After all that I've been through, I still have joy.

There is a song that I remember from my childhood, yet I didn't quite know what it meant until I matured.  Sometimes when I am alone and want to connect with God, I sing this song...
"Blessed quietness, Holy quietness
What assurance in my soul 
On a stormy sea, He speaks PEACE to me
And the billows cease to roll."

Now that's a good reason to cry!

I invite you to stay still long enough to feel God's presence and hear his voice and not be afraid to cry.  What's in those tears?  It's more than just saline and hormones.  Think of it as the act of transferance.  As you are releasing your emotions, God is replacing them with exactly what you need.

Your tears of frustration can become tears of faith.
Your tears of heartache can become tears of happiness.
Your tears of longing can become tears of love.
Your tears of desperation can become tears of deliverance.

So I encourage to be present in your emotions, but remain open to God and allow His love to transform your tears into something powerful.

Now grab a tissue my friend and walk it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment