Saturday, March 28, 2015

Quiet the voices, move and shift

Do the voices in your head ever keep your head spinning?
You think about the well-being of your family, how much laundry you still need to wash, your health, the job, your bills, the need to make more money, the desire to take a vacation and so much more.  All of these thoughts and ideas swim around in your head waiting to either take over or to be subdued.

Honestly, there have been many days when I've allowed those thoughts to rule over me and I felt crippled for a short period of time.  But any time in which I am worrying, is too much time!  I have found that by getting up and moving around, I am able to find a reprieve and the voices don't scream as loudly.  When I take time to walk the dog, find a zumba class or simply stroll around the block I lose myself.....NO, I find myself in the activity.

Yesterday, cutting the grass helped me to find center again.  Yes, I have a 14-year old who is more than able to cut our lawn, but sometimes I need to do it for my own well-being. 

The loud, continuous hum of the lawnmower quickly subdued the chatter of voices.  As the sound waves from the mower entered my ear and bounced off of my eardrum, I noticed that my entire energy shifted.  As I mowed in a linear pattern up and down the yard, I took pride in how straight the lines were.  Down one row and up the other, watching my handiwork transform the backyard, I smiled internally. I was faced with the challenge of making my yard beautiful and I forgot about all of those other things.  I was ready to conquer anything and able to subdue the nagging voices that had begun  to cloud my judgment.

Sometimes the spiritual journey is about moving your body and allowing the endorphins to take over and trigger a sense of happiness all over your body.   Once those endorphins kick in, your mood can do nothing else but SHIFT.  Moving is spiritual!  Moving can be like a fast beating drum like a runner or a zumba class or it can be slow and melodic, like a slow stroll around the block or a yoga class.  Whatever it is...FIND yourself in it and watch your entire day and mental status shift.

Now walk it out...



No comments:

Post a Comment