Sunday, February 19, 2017

Are you Listening to Your Body?

     This month, I downloaded an app on my phone that is supposed to help you meditate, relax, calm down and be mindful.  It took me over 2 weeks to complete a 7-day meditation schedule.  Hmm?  Obviously there is something already off about the math. (Perhaps I need to slow down.) Yesterday as I was lying in my hammock, I finally completed day 7.  The theme was awareness. The instructor in the app, quietly talked about the importance of being present and aware of what our bodies are telling us.

     Do you eat only when you're hungry or do you eat just because there is food present?  Do you sleep when you're tired or do you busy yourself until you simply fall out in bed?  The exercise was about sitting still and being aware of every sensation you feel as you move certain parts of your body.  What is the sensation you get as you blink your eyes, or move your neck or notice how your chest rises and falls as your breathe?  What do you feel when you wiggle your toes or your fingers?  I started out listening to her then my mind began to wander as I realized how unaware I have become.  (Obviously, I failed the meditation part of clearing the mind. Ha!)

     On most days, I know that my body is tired, because I rarely sleep all night and wake up long before the alarm clock ever goes off.  Yet, my internal motor ( in my head) pushes and pushes until I can't take any more and my temper is short.  Rather than take a 20 minute nap or close my eyes for a little while,  I run through a mental checklist (which manifests itself physically) of things that need to be done: washing & folding clothes, cooking a meal, running a vacuum, helping with homework, preparing to teach my classes the next day or getting ready for the next praise team or choir rehearsal.  So by the end of the night, if asked a question, my answers are usually short because I'm beyond exhausted. 

     I know most of you can attest to the feeling of eating when you're bored.  You didn't experience any real hunger pains, but you went into the kitchen just to scope it out anyway.  For some of us, we've wound up dehydrated when we chose not to listen to our bodies as it screamed for fluids.  Many of us have seen our blood pressure increase, not because we were eating foods high in sodium, but because we are stressed out due to the demands that we have placed on ourselves.  "Gotta be faster, stronger, smarter and work harder than anyone else";  yet our bodies are telling us to take a seat, rest a while and be secure in the fact that we are enough. 

    So why am I writing this?  I have to share this because many of you are like me......you need to slow down.   I have encouraged so many to take care of themselves, rest and get away for a while, but it almost takes an act of God to make me slow down.  I have a friend, who recently retired, and is on a month long sabbatical to become certified in teaching yoga IN ANOTHER COUNTRY.  I am so excited for her that she honored herself enough to unplug and better herself.  Do you think she is stressing right now?  Heck nah.  She is currently in a warm climate, forced to take time for herself and learning the effects of proper stretching and breathing.  She is totally present.  If she were constantly worried about what was going on back in Oklahoma, she would be doing herself a great disservice.  So perhaps you and I can't get away for a month at a time, but there are some things that we can do to live in the moment.

Here's a short list of ways you can honor yourself by listening to your body and becoming more aware of what it's trying to tell you.
  • Set your alarm clock 10-15 minutes earlier than usual, so you have time to relax in the morning and gather your thoughts before the rest of the house wakes up.  You begin the day more clearly.
  • Use a part of your lunch to go for a walk or get out of the office (Stop eating at your desk.)  Sometimes unplugging from the work environment for 10 minutes helps you to become more productive in the afternoon.
  • If you know you've had a rough day and need to go home.  Don't go right away!  Drive the long way home so you can calm your spirit before you walk through the door and are bombarded with the needs of others. (If I weren't trying to watch what I was eating, I'd tell you to get a milkshake for the long drive. Yummy!)
  • Once at home and you've engaged with the family, tell them when you need 5-10 minutes to decompress from the day.  Take a book or magazine into the bathroom or sit on the back porch and let everyone know that you need a few uninterrupted minutes. (Give that time a name, so your family knows how to respect it.  They will learn "safe" words too for when they need to take a moment for themselves.)  Most family arguments stem from people responding to each other with a short fuse because they are simply tired / frustrated.
  • Set your bedtime 30 minutes earlier.  (Many of our health issues stem from sleep deprivation.)
The bottom line is ......there is only one of YOU and you need to be aware of what your body is trying to tell you.  My body is telling me right now that it's time to cut you loose and focus on me for the  rest of the evening.

Now walk it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment