Saturday, June 18, 2016

She preached from the pulpit on Sunday, but today her casket lies before the church

     What in the World?!!!

     My heart is heavy as I type this.  This morning I will attend the funeral services for a Powerhouse of a woman today in Oklahoma City.  They said that she preached on Sunday and danced all around the pulpit and on Monday morning she had gone to be with the Lord.  I am aware of the divine providence of God, but I am in shock.  There were no reports of her being sick.  She was here one day doing God's work and gone to glory the very next day.

     She and I did not have monthly coffee dates, we didn't talk on the phone, we never emailed back and forth, but I still sense a major loss.  Although she is not in my phone contact list, whenever we saw each other throughout the City, we'd embrace, exchange pleasantries and encourage one another to keep going.  Not only did she preach at our church once or twice, but I frequented many local women's conferences where she gave the keynote address.  I'm telling you this woman could "say it & slay it" and she did it with such conviction, poise and grace.  She was simply beautiful, both inside and out.
   
     Although we weren't close, I respected who she was, the work that she did and what she represented.  She was married and co-pastored with her husband.  She had children and grandchildren.  She was an administrator at a local school.  So when you looked at her life, it appeared that she was a healthy vibrant woman in her early 50's just doing her thing.  Learning of her death really caught me off guard and has gotten me to take a look at my life more closely.

     As women, we wear so many different hats these days.  Wife, Mother/Grandmother, Business woman/ Entrepreneur, Pastor/Minister, Preacher/ Worship leader, Counselor/Coach, Encourager/Exhorter, Caregiver/ Nurturer and so much more. Oftentimes people look in amazement as we navigate these spaces, but they don't really know the story.  The feelings of heartache,  loss, fatigue, stress, under-appreciation, dismay, trepidation and anxiety never surfaces because we're so busy doing that we have forgotten how to just BE.  We've accepted the sense of tiredness as normal, when in actuality there is nothing normal about it.  ( You can say AMEN or OUCH right here!)  It's true...many times we put the needs of others before our own and never recognize our needs, desires or longings.

     I really want to do God's work and fulfill the purpose that He has for me.  Because of this declaration, I must get in tune with my mind, body and soul once again.  I've noticed that my weight has fluctuated since my husband was sick the first time.  I was so intentional about taking care of him that I forgot to really take care of myself. ( That's only partially true....walking my dog has been my exercise and stress reliever over the last 6 months. Thanks Arby!)  Next week I will make an appointment with my general practitioner just to have blood-work done....checking cholesterol, blood pressure and thyroid activity.   I've had a gift card for a massage since February and I've yet to use it.  I'm scheduling an appointment this week.  Two weeks ago, a dear friend invited me to lunch, she just poured into me and talked about maintaining a healthy life balance. She even pointed out the fact that you should be intentional when choosing restaurants.   Finding places that are peaceful and calming, increases your mindfulness during eating, which can aid in proper digestion.

     As busy women, we should not only be good to others, but it's so important to be good to ourselves.  I encourage you today to take time for yourself and share the love, but also recognize when you need to keep some things for yourself.  My mother-in-law always says, " you can't give from an empty cup".  Make sure that you are full and not depleted.  In case you realize that you are about to run on empty, reach out to a friend for prayer and conversation, so you can be refilled.  Powerhouse Women....let's be that "safe place to land" for each other.

     As I prepare to get dressed to go celebrate the life of one of God's jewels,  I am mindful that I must protect my mind, body and soul as I do the work that God has called me to do.  I encourage you to do the same.  Pleasing God should never mean that you sacrifice YOU, so remember to be good to yourself today.  You deserve it!

Now walk it out...


No comments:

Post a Comment