Monday, May 31, 2021

Spiritual Connections in the Kitchen

When was your last spiritual encounter?

Were you in church? Were you sitting on a park bench? Were you laying in a hammock?  Were you enjoying nature?  Were you on a run? 

My most recent spiritual encounter was in my kitchen!

Today, Byron and I had just returned from Tulsa, Oklahoma commemorating the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre.  Immediately following church yesterday, we set off with our sons to Tulsa to participate in some of the weekend activities with the Legacy Fest.  To see Black vendors, sample from Black food trucks, sway to Black music, listen to Black spoken word, people watch beautiful Black people as we all thought about the lives of Tulsans that were forever changed in 1921 was enlightening and invigorating.  It took us back to our Lower Manley Fridays at Spelman College, when all the AUC came together.  We were happy to share this experience with our sons and to broadcast LIVE to our church family from Greenwood.

We returned to Oklahoma City early this afternoon to enjoy the rest of the day and prepare for the week.  Byron mentioned a food show on Netflix, and we decided to watch the first episode.  The name of the show is "High on the Hog: How African American Cuisine Transformed America".  The documentary story line is about food, community, culture, and resiliency. It is narrated by Stephen Satterfield, who describes how American food culture has its roots in African culture. 

And when I tell you that I was in tears by the end of the first episode...HONEY!  Even now as I am typing, I am full of emotion.  Earlier this year, I had a DNA test to discover my ancestral origins. I learned that I am 42.5% African: Yoruba People (13.1%), Esan People (11.2%), Gambians (8.9%), Mende People (8.4%) and Luhya People (0.9%).  In the documentary today, they talked a lot about the country of Benin, their culture and food traditions.  I was immediately intrigued because the Yoruba people could have originated from these countries: Nigeria, Niger, Chad, Cameroon, BENIN, Togo, Ghana, Ivory Coast or Portugal.  

I was like..."yo, they are talking about MY people".  Satterfield interviewed one of his idols, American culinary historian, professor, cookbook author and journalist, Jessica B. Harris.  Together they walked through the various markets of Benin visiting food stands, clothing stands and talking with the natives about the foods that were traditional to their people.  Okra was mentioned as a staple in Benin cuisine and how it made the journey to the Americas.  She dispelled the myth between the sweet potato and the yam.  (Note to self: we are buying sweet potatoes in the supermarket. If it does not look like a hairy elephant's foot, it is not a yam.)  As I watched them discuss food and sample various delicacies, my stomach started to growl.  

What was intriguing about the show was how they made the connection between the African people and American cuisine.  They talked about Abomey, Benin and the long dirt road that led many of the Africans right into slave ships. Even today, that road is unpaved.  The gentleman being interviewed said that they had no idea that this road would lead them either to their death or their enslavement. He also posited that you cannot erase the past and walking that same road is a reminder of the ancestors who traveled that way before. #goosebumps 

Intermingled throughout the episode was food, culture, and memory.  It was impactful because it demonstrated how African people showed resilience by bringing their food traditions to America.  For example, Byron used to tell me how Friday night dinner was often fried fish and spaghetti in his family; to which I always swore that those 2 things should NEVER go together.  Oddly enough, one of the meals highlighted was fried fish and some type of African dish that was tomato-based.  Satterfield mentioned that growing up in Georgia, Sunday meals were fried fish and spaghetti that fed the community.  

What, the what?! Byron was not crazy after all. Ha!

Though the specific tomato-based dish was not an American food tradition, the African palate survived the journey. (We simply used an American substitute, but the sentiment in the pairing was the same.)  Another piece of African culture survived!  The final story was told where the Satterfield and Harris stood on hallowed ground to venerate the ancestors. Below their feet, underneath a statue were the remains of those Africans who never made it to the ships.  They died right there at that port because they REFUSED to give in.  Many Africans were brought to the port to await transfer and they were given specific foods that were from their villages. The goal was to keep them eating and full so they could maintain their energy to survive the journey.  Rather than giving in to the slave masters, many of them refused to eat. So, they died right there...  They practiced resistance even unto death! #goosebumpsagain

I was moved to tears and got up immediately to cook.  I had no idea what I wanted, but I felt the urge to connect to my heritage.  Byron began to ask questions of what I was going to cook and I simply informed him that I did not know, and could not take suggestions.  I just went to the pantry and refrigerator and was moved by the spirit as I pulled out the onions, peppers, cabbage, okra, and pigeon peas.  I was having a spiritual encounter connecting my present to my past.  When I saw the frozen okra in the freezer, I immediately thought of Mommy and how she would make okra patties for Daddy.  (It was never for the kids; it was only for Daddy; his own special treat.)  But today, I was determined to feed my husband with this meal.  In complete silence, I created a meal that took elements from my African heritage mixed with my own American traditions. I tasted and seasoned until I was satisfied with each dish, as the flavors burst in my mouth.


·       Sautéed cabbage with onions, garlic, red, yellow, and orange peppers

·       Pigeon peas with tomatoes, seasoned with a medium yellow curry powder

·       Lightly fried okra patties 

The flavor profile was treacherous, and I felt like I had grabbed my Benin ancestors and my own parents tradition to make the perfect meal.  No bread and no meat, yet I was completely satisfied! (Byron liked it too.)

Today was a spiritual moment of connection for me....

My past informed my present and will ultimately influence my future.  I learned to always be proud of where I come from.  I learned that refusing to give in is a sign of resilience and resistance.  I also learned that I could control the narrative that will lead to better health decisions and a more sustainable life.  

Today, I met God in the kitchen!

Be mindful and open to each day's powerful lessons...

                                                                                            ~Now walk it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment