Sunday, January 22, 2017

It's Time to See a Doctor

I gave this testimony/ confession today in early morning worship service.

Our church is partnering with the American Heart Association in the Battle of the Heart. It's so important to not only talk about spiritual things in church, but rather add mental and physical components to the discussion.  It's a 4-month challenge to encourage individuals to check their blood pressure weekly. (You can't work to control something that you don't know or acknowledge.)  The church will have specific guidelines when serving food and drinks during functions to promote a healthy lifestyle.

Now I am very active.  I count my daily Fitbit steps, I attend zumba periodically, I have exercise accountability partners, I walk the dog frequently and workout at the gym on a consistent basis.  During the beginning of the year fast, I gave up meat and made it for 3 weeks.  I'm pretty conscience about the food that I put into my body.  However, I was caught off guard on Thursday when, during our Health ministry meeting, we decided to take our own blood pressures readings. (We have to be the 1st partakers before encouraging others to do so.)  It was at this time that I realized that my BP was high.  Just 2 months ago when attending my yearly gynecological exam, my BP was great and within normal limits. No reason for alarm!  So I was kind of thrown off by this newest revelation.

The funny thing is that my left shoulder and back has been hurting.  Sometimes I can move the wrong way and I'll get a sharp pain around my shoulder blade.   There has even been arm numbness from time to time. After the BP was taken, I noticed that my arm throbbed for a few hours....just a funny sensation.  I know all of the signs of a heart attack in women and how oftentimes they don't match those of men.  But I've found myself blaming my pain on a bad mattress (although it really is time to get a new one), muscle strain, possible nerve sheath inflammation.....any and everything except cardiovascular disease or high BP.  Well anyway, I had choir rehearsal later that same evening and decided to mention it to a nurse friend.  I knew which words NOT to say as she listened intensely and shared her thoughts.  She took it a step further and mentioned it to her cardiologist friend later that evening, during a phone call.  Needless to say, the doctor told her to tell me to check my BP daily and then call her office to see if they could squeeze me in on the schedule.   Praise God.............I have an appointment on Tuesday.

Why am telling you this?  Because someone else is out there denying that things just don't feel right.  You've been hesitant in contacting your physician for fear that you'll receive bad news.  This type of thinking is actually what causes many African Americans to die at a higher rate than other individuals because we wait too late before seeking medical attention.  Well not anymore for this sister!!! I have been the caretaker and the burden bearer for so many and it's time to take care of ME!

I'm sure the doctor will put me on some type of water pill for the high BP and I pray that is all.  My goal however is to NOT stay on medication, so that means that I need to be even more diligent in my diet and exercise, so I can lose some weight.  The church challenge lasts for the next 4 months.  It is my goal to have shed 20 pounds by then.  My life depends on it!  The success of my family depends on it, as well.  I will also be mindful in monitoring my stress levels.  I'm not an easily stressed person, but I will pay attention that I am doing things for ME that make me better and not what might appease someone else.  It's about honoring MY mind, body and soul.

So I challenge you to take care of YOU.  Call the physician.  Have your blood pressure checked regularly.  Go for a walk or join a gym (and actually go).  Listen to your body and be good to yourself.

Now walk it out...

 
FYI:

No comments:

Post a Comment