Wednesday, July 1, 2015

On the Rooftop with God

At 6 am, I found myself lying flat on my back, looking up into the sky, recognizing the immensity of God.  I was invited to attend spiritual yoga on a restaurant rooftop, by a sweetheart of a friend/sister and I felt right at home.  I love nature and relishing in the beauty of God's creation, so it was rather reassuring to realize that there was nothing hindering my connection to God and the vast twilight sky.

The instructor didn't necessarily whisper, but she proclaimed the word of the Lord boldly and with passion, as soft music played in the background.  If you know anything about how the body works, you know that it takes time for your muscles to relax.  You can make a sudden movement and your muscle oftentimes counteracts that move which further tightens the muscle.  However if you slow down, release and stretch, you will notice that the muscle fibers will eventually relax and lengthen.  It was during those times that the instructor would offer to us that we should release whatever is keeping us back from recognizing the love of God.  As those muscles in my back and hamstrings were releasing, I was in the process of surrendering my will to the Father.

The scripture that she continuously referenced this morning was, Luke 12:32:
Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

Simply put, God takes pleasure in sharing His love, forgiveness, joy and peace with you.  He is not sitting back in judgment throwing all of your mistakes in your face.  He loves you and wants what is best for you.  It reminds me of how I treat my boys...... I want them to be successful, productive, humble leaders and it warms my heart when I see them doing things that will point them in that direction.  But even if they don't do what I'd like, I don't throw them away.....I place a gentle hand or speak a word that will guide them back to the right path.  I am patient with them and God is patient with me!

This means that I can rest in Him and be patient with myself as each of those muscles, or strongholds or dilemmas or issues are fully released. I don't have to walk in fear or condemnation, I walk in confidence because I know that it warms God's heart to give me exactly what I need.

I encourage you today to find a park bench, a little plot of grass, a rooftop, an open window, a beach or any place that calms you down and brings you joy.  Then look up into the Heavens, observe the beauty of nature and relax in Him.

Now walk it out......

No comments:

Post a Comment