Thursday, January 1, 2015

Bringing Balance to the New Year

Well, well, well....2015 has finally arrived!  To God be the glory, because you made it!

Whatever 2014 held for you, it is now over.  Whatever decisions you made, whatever news you received, no matter what happened to you this past year...2014 is now over.  We can't erase, forget, lament or stay stuck, but we must move on and forge ahead into 2015.

I've been thinking for the last few days what message I would send to you to begin the new year.  All day yesterday, I was contemplating over what my treatise should be. Should I talk about the resolutions that we make at the beginning of the year?  Should I mention the 10-day cleanse that I'm doing and how that can affect your overall wellness?  Should I talk about ending one and beginning a new year in gratitude? My mind raced, but my heart wouldn't allow me to release anything to you.  I even woke up this morning early, ready to impart what I believe God would want me to say....but I didn't feel it.  So I didn't type.  I helped my husband cook black-eyed peas (an old tradition in African American households to bring luck to the new year).  I called a few friends and family members.  I cleaned the kitchen.  I caught a couple of New Years' Day sales online.  I drank my smoothie and my water and then I got back in the bed and went to sleep.

Going to sleep, while my children are up moving about, is very difficult for me.  For some strange reason, I feel like I need to be engaged in something, rather than just stopping and sitting still.  In fact, they usually ask if I'm okay, if I somehow fall asleep before the normal bedtime.  Because we had a late night service attending 'Watchnight service' at church, we were all a little tired today and everyone was in their own corner.  This is probably the only reason that I decided to take a little nap in the middle of the day.

When I awakened from the nap, nearly two and a half hours later, I felt refreshed and renewed.  There were no more signs of the scratchy throat that I had early this morning.  I was ready to move around and check on the people in my house.  And just like that, the Lord gave me the revelation and the word to give you...REST!

In my blog from last week, I talked about RESTART, RESET and REFUEL!  All good points to get your mind situated for the new year.  Something to inspire you and enable you to let go and begin anew.  However in order to begin anew, you must learn how to REST.

Most of us since Thanksgiving, have been entertaining friends and family members or we've been traveling in and out of town to visit friends and family.  Constantly moving and probably tired! As I meandered through the house this evening, feeling well rested, I realized that this is the one day that most individuals allow themselves to REST.  It's almost the non-spoken rule of January 1st.  Most of us stayed up past midnight to bring in the New Year, transitioning from the old and embracing the new.  Unless you had to work today, we were all excited about the idea of "sleeping in".

Well isn't that just it?!

In order to bring balance into 2015,  you must restart, reset and refuel...but you must also learn to REST.  When you rest, you allow your body to heal itself naturally.  Resting gives your brain a chance to recover and sort out the events of the day. Resting increases the body's ability to fight illness.  The proper amount of rest allows you to think more clearly and to work more efficiently during the awake hours.

As you set out 2015 to become a better you, please realize that with all of the strategizing, planning and envisioning, you must also REST!  Rest will make your vision shine brighter.  Rest will allow your plans to come to fruition. Rest will bring balance to your life. 

Now walk it out..............and walk towards your bed or favorite chair, because it's time to rest!  Let's start all over again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment