Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Sibling rivalry is REAL and so is the LOVE

Having 14- year old and 10- year old sons, you can only imagine the raging hormones in the house.  There is constant competition, constant fighting, constant bickering, constant "out-doing" one another, constant "Mom I don't know why he was born". Then in the next moment they are outside playing ball together, video games together, laughing together, watching television together and working together to gang up on me and their dad.  I think it's totally hilarious!
Well in the last few days, I have seen these too dudes show love to one another and it has completely warmed my heart.

On Saturday, Courtland was invited to a birthday party at a water park.  When he left around 1pm, Chandler was so excited to have the house to himself.  He lounged around, didn't have to share his stuff and was relieved that he wouldn't have to talk to anyone for a couple of hours.  Actually the 3 of us, went out for a little while and attended a nice event in the park.  My husband and I had 2 more events to go to, so we dropped Chandler back at the house. (It's so nice when they are old enough to be left at the house for a couple of hours.) We returned home a few hours later and  I noticed that Chandler was beginning to ask about his younger brother.   Hmmm?!

We ate dinner, lounged around and rested a while before my hubby had to get back up and continue working on his sermon.  While I'm in the kitchen, getting a snack, Chandler rolls up on me and says, "When is Courtland coming home?  He's been gone a long time.  Can you have that much fun at a water park?" To which I replied, "who would make a boring a water park, of course, he's having fun".  

I got so tickled because what he couldn't say was that he actually missed his little brother.  That although the house was quiet, it was too quiet for him because his little (annoying) brother wasn't around.  Well his brother arrived shortly after 8 pm.  Guess who was standing behind me at the door when he pulled up? (Don't worry Babe, I won't expose you and make you turn in your player card...I'll just blog about it.)   In a matter of moments, the house was once again filled with laughter and chatter.

They can't stand each other at times, but they don't want to be separated for too long either. Hilarious!

Well last night, I saw the tables turn once again.

Chandler had a full day yesterday.  He had football team power camp at 6:30 am.  Went to the gym with his father around 1:30pm to play several basketball games with the medical students, went to VBS and had 2 basketball games last night (the first one began at 8:45pm).  A full day!  

Everyone who knows Chandler can appreciate that he's a hard worker on the field or the court.  He sweats like crazy and leaves his all on the court.  During the 2nd game, I saw him go down after a shot.  When he didn't pop back up, his coach went to him and "Dr. Mom" left the stands to get to the court, as well.  He was having a Lebron moment.  Really?! My baby's calf was cramping like crazy.  I have never seen a muscle knot up quite like that.  His coach had his foot and was stretching his leg out, while I massaged his calf and applied ice.  

Enter the little brother...
Courtland was my gatorade guy and our water bottle boy.  After the game, we dropped them off at home so we could make a quick run to the store and pick up bananas for a smoothie.  My phone rang, a call from Chandler's phone, but when I answered it...it was Courtland's voice.  He was asking questions about his brother.  "Mom, should he take a warm shower or a cold shower?  Mom, I gave him some more ice."  (Look at the little caregiver!)

After arriving back home and making an Elvis smoothie (bananas, peanut butter, chocolate protein powder, milk and ice) for him, we said goodnight to the boys and my hubby and I cleaned up the kitchen.  Thirty minutes later, as I made my way to the bedroom, I noticed that Courtland was not in his room.   As I walked towards Chandler's room, I was about to go into mean-mommy-mode and start fussing about getting in the bed. (I just knew they were up playing video games.)

When I got to his room, I saw the most beautiful thing!  Chandler was sprawled out on his bed as usual and lying right beside him, wrapped in a white comforter was his little angel.  Courtland had gotten in the bed with his brother and there they were lying head-to-toe.  No fighting, no bickering, no competition....just snoring.   Man-down and brother came to the rescue!

So when your children are fighting and act as if they can't stand each other, know that they really do have each other's back when life gets tough.  They showed me in these 2 instances that they truly are, "my brother's keeper".

Now walk it out....


No comments:

Post a Comment