Sunday, March 16, 2014

Safe in Daddy's arms: 40-day family focus

I have been in the church all of my life.  I grew up singing in the choir, ushering on the usher board and sitting in prayer meeting with my parents.  I’ve directed the choir, led praise & worship teams, have spoken in different churches and even married a preacher.  So I know church liturgy and how it all works. I understand how music can set the atmosphere for the spoken word.  I get all of that and am well versed in it.  But sometimes when I think of Heaven, I don’t see it as this sweet by and by or when we all get there how grand it will be.  Nor do I see it as our ancestors who were enslaved used to sing…”I got shoes, You got shoes, All of God’s children got shoes, when I get to Heaven gonna put on my shoes and walk all around God’s heaven”. 

Maybe heaven is watching a baby sleep peacefully or bringing a smile to an elderly person’s face.  Maybe heaven is a hug or an acknowledgement that “ I see you”. 
Since I am in this 40-day season of focusing on the family, I must share the piece of heaven that I experienced today.

The minister-of-music at our church is a fireball.  Each Sunday, he leads us in praise & worship, having meticulously rehearsed and coordinated with both the praise & dance team.  He spends a lot of time throughout the week preparing for Sunday morning and even sacrificing his family time so that Sunday’s production is on point.  He is very much like my husband, who sees Sunday morning as a major motion picture production that requires practice and preparation.  But today something happened a little differently.  Yes, he opened up the worship service and coordinated the music throughout the entire service.  But something happened which allowed me to see a little piece of heaven.

I was holding his one-year old son during our 11 am worship service.  (I think he likes to sit with me because I’m noisy.  We get to scream and clap together and he doesn’t have to sit still.)   He had been in my arms for 10-15 minutes before my husband got up to preach.  Since the music was over and there would be no more dancing for us, he got a little fidgety.   I took him out to change his diaper and let him walk around a little bit and we returned to our seats.  Upon sitting, he began to arch his back and throw a fit to let me know that sitting still was not on his agenda today.  So as not to disrupt the preaching moment, I scurried over to his mother, who was sitting on the front row.  He calmed down…right?  Uh no, that little booger’s back got to arching once again and he let everyone know that sitting was an unpleasant experience.  She started to rush him out, but it caught her husband’s attention, who was still seated at the organ, and he motioned for his son.  What do you think happened next?

Total calm! He sat on his lap, on the organ bench and relaxed back into his daddy’s arms.  Then, with those big pretty eyes, he looked back at me as if to say, “ uh, this is what I wanted all along.”  Upon reflection, I realized that although his dad had done a great job with the music, it didn’t matter to this precious little boy because the greatest thing for him was finding that safe place to land…in his daddy’s arms.  This is Heaven!  Realizing that regardless of what else was going on around him, all he knew was that he was with his dad.  How simple, but how beautiful!
As we focus on our family during this time, take time to recognize when all your child wants is you.  It doesn’t matter what your title is or what you do for a living, the only thing your child needs is you.   When you can take the time to recognize that; it brings a confidence and a sense of calm in the child.  It’s especially wonderful, when it’s a good relationship between father and son.

Just this week, our older son was on a class trip to Washington DC.  Because I have all of his apps and follow him on Instagram, I was able to see pictures of him throughout the week.  That was enough for me!  But Daddy was another story.  He kept asking had our son called or text.  He tried to call several times, only to receive no response. You could see the disappointment in his face. (We found out later, that his phone had died.)  Because I love and respect the relationship between father & son, I text my son with a simple message, ‘call your daddy, I think he misses you’.  To which he replied, “yay”.  Within the hour, my husband received a call and as he told me about their conversation, he was literally beaming from ear to ear.  Heaven! 

To all of the father’s reading this, please realize that although your children may not express in words that you are needed…YOU ARE.  Mothers, even if you are not with your child’s father…your child still needs him.  If there is a father that wants to be involved in his child’s life, don’t hinder that.  I could have gloated to my husband and said, ‘Hahaha…my son wants to talk to me ” or the minister of music’s wife could have snatched the baby up to prove a point…but we both recognize that it’s a blessing when a father & son want to be in each other’s presence. 

Why did I go through all of this?  I simply wanted to let you know that heaven doesn’t have to be this pie-in-the-sky, when I get over there, but it can be here and now in the eyes of your child.  During this 40- day journey, focus on the family, take time to recognize the gift that you have in your children and take the time to let them know that you care.  All your child wants to know is…somebody sees me.  And if you show them love, there will never be a need to look outside of your home for anyone else.



Now walk it out…

No comments:

Post a Comment