Monday, September 5, 2016

Generational Blessings

My heart is so full!  I am so blessed.

My very 1st blog post was a testimony and tribute to my parents, James and Nelda Mattison.  Three months later,  Mommy had transitioned.  It has been 3 1/2 years that she has been gone and I miss her dearly.  However, I must say that I have gotten to know my father at a much deeper level.  He was always a praying man, a loving husband and great father, but I have learned through recent years that he is so much more than that.  This dude is quick witted and full of life.  He is a walking ball of encouragement and smiles.

This past week he's been visiting and I've just found even more reason to love him.  I loved watching him pull both of our boys to the side and speak life over them.  His favorite line, "it's going to be alright; you'll make it".  I remember when Byron and I got married, we were ready to get away from our parents so we could finally grow up.   Once we began to have children, we quickly realized the longing to have grandparents close by.  This trip with Daddy has been heartwarming.  I've watched him walk around the neighborhood for exercise, love on Arby (dog), encourage the boys, talk about Mommy and their life together and discuss his future travel plans.  He said I work to travel...and I love it.

As he prepares to head back home in the morning, I am sitting here just thanking God for the lesson in his visit.   He and Mommy were married for 54 years and 14 days and they were good to each other.  You would think that after being with someone for so long that you would eventually just sit down and wait for your time to come.  Daddy has shown me that this scenario does not have to be the reality.  Although his life partner is gone, the Lord spared his life and he has chosen to live and do it well.

This is my encouragement to you, that no matter what the situation looks like, you can still choose to live.  It might be painful to suffer any type of loss, but God has a way of breathing new life into you.  It's totally up to you whether or not you choose to accept the gift.  As I watch Daddy continue to expand his horizons, I am encouraged to do the same!  I will not allow a NO to deter me.  I will not allow a loss or disappointment to cripple me.  I will not allow a distraction to overtake me. I will not allow death to overtake me.  I choose to live.  I choose to try new things.  I choose to experience all the joys that life has to offer.  Thanks Daddy for reminding me that life is exactly what you make of it.  Thank you for praying over your grandsons and speaking life into them...they are the next generation.

Now choose to live and love as you "walk it out"....

From one generation to the next...God-fearing men.
Daddy & the boys

No comments:

Post a Comment